Saturday 11 July 2009

Sandi Thom // The Best of Sandi Thom

 sandithom

Buy @ Amazon.co.uk

With only two album releases, you’d think maybe this was a premature release and that not much can be on it. Surprisingly, there’s 18 tracks on this release, which may be viewed as the ending of her time being constrained by what others want rather than herself before anything is heard of the third album (which Thom herself has made reference to be working on, on both her myspace and twitter)

This release is released via Camden Records after Thom parted ways with former record company Sony BMG over, what can only be deemed ‘creative differences’. The album features the tracks that were released as singles ( I Wish I Was A Punk Rocker (With Flowers In Hair), What If I’m Right, Lonely Girl and The Devil’s Beat), a selection of songs from the albums Smile…It Confuses People and The Pink & The Lily as well as the exclusive tracks that were previously released as mobile exclusives via various mobile phone providers in the UK.

Looking at the album as a whole, it brings together what is probably the best tracks from the last two albums. The addition of the exclusive tracks (Kiss From A Rose, It Must Be Love, Times Like These) as well makes this a nice little collection. So who will realistically buy this album? Well, there is of course the collectors either because they have every other release or because they’ve been looking for the elusive tracks found on the album (either because they were unable to buy them the first time around due to not being with the right provider or because they were on a service that they didn’t use (Lonely Girl [Live From The Basement] was released via online retailers such as iTunes and Napster]). This release may also appeal to those who may only be familiar with the one hit (that most likely being I Wish I Was A Punk Rocker (With Flowers In My Hair) which was probably her biggest, if only hit, to date) and may be curious into finding out what they’ve missed out on.

As previously said, a nice little collection that will probably be overlooked with other release around the same time.

Rating: 4/5

Track listing:

1. I Wish I Was A Punk Rocker (With Flowers In My Hair) (Radio Edit)
2. What If I'm Right (Radio Mix)
3. The Devil's Beat
4. Little Remedy
5. Saturday Night
6. When Horsepower Meant What It Said
7. The Last Picturehouse
8. The Human Jukebox
9. The Pink & The Lily
10. Sunset Borderline
11. My Ungrateful Heart
12. Lonely Girl (Live From The Basement)
13. Kiss From A Rose (Acoustic)
14. It Must Be Love (Acoustic)
15. May You Never
16. Times Like These (Acoustic)
17. No More Heroes
18. I Wish I Was A Punk Rocker (With Flowers In My Hair) (Mutiny's Rockers & Lovers Mix)

No comments:

Post a Comment